Pacific Northwest Diabetes Health & Wellness Week
and Circle on the Court
Pacific Northwest Diabetes Health & Wellness Week (PNDW) is the annual, week-long premier event that unites the Pacific Northwest diabetes community in a collaborative effort to promote “living active”. Founded by Chris Dudley Foundation and Novo Nordisk, each year PNDW touches the lives of thousands of people through a series of activities that increase diabetes awareness and showcase community resources.
Our goal? To empower each of us to take action to control diabetes; and to enhance wellness here in the beautiful Pacific Northwest.
Circle on the Court is the PNDW kick-off in November!
Chris Dudley Foundation, together with Novo Nordisk and Make it Better Foundation will co-host Circle on the Court, a diabetes and wellness awareness event on Friday, November 8 at the MODA Center. This unique event will offer interactive wellness exhibits and resources in the concourse during the game. In attendance this year, NBA greats and Novo Nordisk Ambassadors, Dominique Wilkins, NBA Hall-of-Famer and Chris Dudley, Trail Blazer Alumnus will inspire our community to live active, healthy lives and Dream Big. NEW this year, Circle on the Court will be a part of a Portland Trail Blazer basketball game dedicated to diabetes awareness. The game will include pre-game and half-time focus on living active with diabetes!
- Increase awareness of diabetes and healthy living.
- Provide education about the differences between Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes.
- Offer information on diabetes’ risks and warning signs; where to go for help; and how to manage diabetes.
- Illustrate the importance of evidence-based education and therapies in the prevention and control of
diabetes and its complications.
- Encourage local governments to implement and strengthen polices for diabetes prevention and
- Join 52 other countries in “bringing diabetes to light” as local buildings and bridges are lit in blue on World
Diabetes Day, November 14.
- In 2010, diabetes affected 25.8 million people – 8.3% of the U.S. population.¹
- More than 291,200 in Oregon have diabetes²
- Each year, another 7 million people will develop diabetes³
- In 2025, Diabetes will likely become the #1 killer in America³
¹Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. National Diabetes Fact Sheet 2011.
² http//www.altfutures.org/pubs/diabetes2025/OREGON Diabetes2025 Overall BriefingPaper2011.pdf.
For endnote references and details on the Institute for Alternative Futures Diabetes 2025 Forecasting Model Methodology, visit www.altfutures.org/diabetes2025
³Diabetes Atlas, third edition, International Diabetes Federation 2006 & March 2008 Oregon Department of Human Services, Public Health Division Health Promotion & Chronic Disease Preventions, Oregon Diabetes Program